I am hitting a brick wall with this whole job search thing. I’m not qualified enough nor do I want to design video games or CGI animation (which seems to be the only place to find art-jobs). I need to do something that will make me stand out as a job applicant because apparently being smart and in charge of a large-budget college organization means nothing. At least it hasn’t gotten me anywhere yet. It looks like I should have spent less time on extracurriculars and more on internships. Or gotten a degree in graphic design (no offense to graphic designers, but I can’t stand that shiz-nit).
So, here are some ideas for things I could do:
- Create a stop-motion animation that becomes a YouTube sensation. I can show it off, peeps will be impressed by my creativity, and hire me!
- Become friends with a bunch of bands and design album artwork and t-shirts for them. They spread the word, and I somehow get to tour the country/world with the band because I’m awesome.
- Screw everybody and just make my own greeting cards/t shirts/art pieces/stuffed animals and sell them on Etsy. Somebody famous blogs about my stuff and the demand gets crazy! (This seems like a great idea, but I don’t much time to create when I have to work 6 days a week).
- Travel the country in an RV, blog/photograph my travels and write an illustrated memoir of my 20-something existential crisis. Get a multi-book deal based on the brilliance of my memoir and have Michel Gondry create an indie-darling of a movie based on the memoir. It would have to involve lots of puppets and chocolate chip cookies. (NOTE: I would need an RV to complete this goal)
- Go back to school and get another degree (i.e. Toy Design from F.I.T. in NYC). This would involve sums of money I don’t want to spend/have. However, I do miss school-ing. I make some pretty good stuff when I’m assigned to work.
- Sell my nonessential organs on the black market…not sure how to jump into that area, also it’s not a good source of continual income due to my limited number of organs.
- Sell the nonessential organs of others. I don’t know how this would work.
- Create a documentary about something I’m passionate about: garden gnomes or moustaches. Documentary becomes an indie darling. I get lots of moneys and mild fame. Free pass to act like a total weirdo for the rest of my life because I created a ridiculous documentary.
My dearest tumblr followers, do you have any additional suggestions? I think all of the above sound like a great plan, but limited funding is holding me back. Unless you just want to give me moneys. I’d be glad to take it off your hands.